There are a lot of classic German dishes, and this sausage recipe is well known in Bavarian region. Glazed onions and bell peppers are perfect combination with Weisswurst, or in literal translation, white sausage.
One more ingredient is crucial for this dish, and that is wheat beer. Wheat beer is also one of the most famous Bavarian products, and it’s important you use this type of beer for this recipe.
Bavarian Sausages Glazed With Onions And Peppers
- 8 bavarian (Weisswurst) sausages mildly hot
- 4 yellow onions small
- 3 green bell peppers
- 4 tbsp Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme dry
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 cup beer wheat
- Add onions, salt and pepper and cook them in a pan on a medium heat for about 15 minutes. After onions reach that golden color and soften a bit, add thyme and pinch of sugar. Finally, add beer and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook green bell peppers in a grill pan on a medium heat until softened, for about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and after that cook the sausages on a medium heat on the same grill pan used for bell peppers. Smear the mixture of Worcestershire and ketchup over the sausages with a cooking brush. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve the sausages alongside bell peppers and onions mixture.