Serbian Complete Sandwich is local serbian specialty of the Zaltibor district. It also known as ‘Užička komplet lepinja’.
For this famous specialty of western Serbia, you need bread, old cream cheese or Serbian “kajmak”, egg and roasting meat juice.
Now, who doesn’t know,roasting juice called “pretop” which is obtained by collecting fat during the roasting of lamb or pigs.
We added prosciutto in our recipe, but with or without prosciutto, the set of buns is delicious.
It is a calorie bomb … but sometimes relax and enjoy!
Serbian Complete Sandwich
- 1 cup flour
- 125 ml water warm
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 1 tbsp old cream cheese or "kajmak"
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp roasting meat juice
- 1.76 oz prosciutto
- Add sugar and yeast to lukewarm water and let the yeast foam.
- Mix flour and salt, add water with yeast, oil and knead the dough. Leave it on a warm place 20 minutes.
- Then divide the dough into 2 parts, form balls and let it stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the baking tray with flour, put balls of dough, form buns with your hands, sprinkle with oil and flour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 392F( 200°C) for about 15 minutes.
- When you take them out of the oven, cover them with a damp cloth to cool them down a bit.
- Take one bun and cut it across to get two pieces.
- Spread cream cheese on the lower part.
- Break one egg and stir directly on the lower part of the bun.
- Return to the oven for a few minutes or until the egg is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and pour the bottom of the bun with a few tablespoons of roasting meat juice.
- Add the prosciutto and place the top of the bun.
- Serve warm and enjoy!