If you are a fan of Bavarian pastries, imagine that while eating a Bavarian muffin you can smell the sausage and the taste of sauerkraut at the same time.
You have to admit it sounds amazing, impossible…delicious!
You don’t need to be an expert in dough, sauerkraut or a top butcher 🙂 All you need is a shopping trip and some time in the kitchen.
Rolls With Sausage and Sauerkraut
- 400 g premade pizza dough
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 can beer
- 4 sausage
- 4 tbsp sauerkraut
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cheese grated
- Fry the onion in 1/2 tablespoon of butter until soft.
- Add sausages and fry.
- Pour beer, cover and cook for 8-10 min.Note: Remove 1/2 cup of the sausage cooking liquid and set aside for later.
- Roll out the pizza dough and divide it into 4 parts.
- Put a sausage and 1 tablespoon of sauerkraut on each part. Roll up like a bun.
- Put water in a deep pan or pot, add baking soda and bring to a boil.
- Place each roll in the water and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Take out and leave on a towel to dry for about 5 minutes.
- After that, arrange the buns in a pan on baking paper, brush them with beaten egg, salt and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 428F (220°C) for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the sauce.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour and fry until it turns golden yellow.
- With constant stirring, add the beer liquid in which the sausages were cooked, milk and heavy cream.
- Then add chili, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Mix everything. Add salt.
- Towards the end of cooking, add grated cheese to the sauce.
- Serve hot rolls with mustard sauce.