Kyoto-Style, Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Soy Sauce, Ginger and Scallions – a delicious vegan side dish that is easy to make and full of amazing flavor!
Kyoto Style Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes sliced in half, lengthwise
- olive oil for brushing
- 1/4 cup olive oil, coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup shallot very finely diced
- 2 tsp ginger finely minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 3 scallions sliced
- Preheat oven to 428F (220C°).
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Brush or spray with olive oil.
- Roast 30-40 minutes until fork tender (check at 30 mins, keeping in mind they need may need longer if very large).
- While they are roasting make the dressing. Heat the oil or butter or ghee over medium low heat, add the shallot and carefully sauté until golden, stirring often about 5-6 minutes. Add the ginger, cook 2-3 more minutes. Add the soy sauce. Stir in the soy sauce as best you can, simmering for about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Once the sweet potatoes are caramelized to your liking, spoon the dressing over each one.
- Sprinkle with a little finishing salt and sprinkle with chopped scallions.
- Enjoy as a side dish or as a vegan main, along with a salad.