One of the most famous Middle Eastern and North African breakfast choices.
Originated in Yemen, but spread across Mediterranean, it represents powerful combination of flavors, typical for that region.
Like every dish, it has its variations and this one is, what food historians refer to as, original recipe.
It’s best served right after cooking alongside pita bread.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO BELOW!
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1,5 lbs fresh tomatoes diced in cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 bash cilantro
- Prepare all ingredients.
- Put olive oil in a pan, and heat it on medium heat, add onion and cook for about 5,6 mi nutes and afterwards add garlic.
- Add green bell pepper and continue cooking for around 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and diced tomatoes and add all the spices and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until it starts to reduce.
- With wooden spatula make space for eggs, crack them open and put them in the mixture like in the image bellow. Cover the pan and let the whole dish simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot alongside bread of your choice.