Mexican Quinoa Stew
You’re going to love this Mexican quinoa stew! It’s hearty, easy to make and tastes amazing. This soup recipe is vegan and gluten free.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion medium, chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 2 jalapeños seeded and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup quinoa dry/uncooked
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper for extra heat, optional
- black pepper freshly ground
- Optional garnishes (my ideas): extra chopped cilantro, small wedges of lime, diced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream…
- In a medium Dutch oven or soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and jalapeños. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water, tomatoes, beans, cumin, salt, quinoa, cilantro and cayenne pepper (if using). Season with pepper and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Once the quinoa is tender, add more salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. You can serve this soup right away or use an immersion blender to purée a couple cups of this soup—this helps to thicken the soup while still leaving some texture (I may have overdone it a bit).
- Divide into bowls and serve with any garnishes that you’d like. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe from cookieandkate.com from No Excuses Detox, copyright © 2017 by Megan Gilmore, published by Ten Speed Press
Calories: 249kcalCarbohydrates: 41.1gProtein: 10.5gFat: 5.7gSaturated Fat: 0.8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 1191.7mgFiber: 10.8gSugar: 5.8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!