Green detox soup
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups liced cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger grated peeled
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 nori seaweed sheets cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) strips
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- fresh lemon juice for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.