A Mediterranean one-pot stew with peppers, courgettes, lentils, sweet smoked paprika and thyme
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 medium carrots sliced (about 200g)
- 2 medium sticks celery finely sliced (about 120g)
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 2 400g tins tomatoes or peeled cherry tomatoes
- 250 ml vegetable stock cube (we used 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot)
- 2 courgettes sliced thickly (about 300g)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250 g cooked lentil (we used Merchant Gourmet ready-to-eat Puy lentils)
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Add the onions and cook gently for 5 – 10 mins until softened.
Add the garlic, spices, dried thyme, carrots, celery and peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock, courgettes and fresh thyme and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
Take out the thyme sprigs. Stir in the lentils and bring back to a simmer. Serve with wild and white basmati rice, mash or quinoa.
- This casserole is best if made the day before to allow the flavours to develop.