- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion small, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves large, finely diced
- 1 carrot very finely diced
- 1 celery stalk very finely diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup dry small green or puy lentils cooked
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 25 g handful
- basil to taste plus to serve
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder
- grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200 g wholemeal spaghetti gluten-free for GF version
- Boil a big pot of water for the pasta. Heat up olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add diced onion to the pan and fry on a low heat until soft, then add in diced carrot and celery. Fry until soft, stirring frequently. Finally add in garlic and sauté until it softens and becomes fragrant.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl. Once pasta water has come to the boil, ladle out a small amount of boiling water and pour it over your dried tomatoes. Let them soak for 5-10 minutes. This will soften them. Cook your pasta in the remaining water until nearly al dente, drain and set aside.
- Chop softened sun-dried tomatoes roughly and put them into a pestle and mortar. Pound them into a paste. Add walnuts and chopped basil leaves and work them into the sun-dried tomatoes. Add a bit of olive oil or water (if you don’t want to use too much oil in your meals) to help you work this quick pesto better.
- Move mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery and garlic mixture) to the side of the pan and place cherry tomatoes on the pan, cut side down. Let them cook for about a minute, then add pesto in, cooked lentils, a bit of tomato sauce and balsamic vinegar. Season with sea salt, black pepper, nutmeg, chilli and sugar to taste.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan. Toss it in the sauce, let it warm up for a minute and serve.