Ropa Vieja is a traditional Cuban dish that’s perfect for your slow cooker. It’s braised and shredded beef cooked in a tomato based sauce with peppers, onions, peas and seasoned with cumin and other spices.
Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- 680 g skirt steak, flank steak, or top sirloin
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 carrot sliced into chunks
- 1 red or orange bell pepper sliced into strips
- 6 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 beef bullion cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Place meat in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add all spices on top (including salt and bullion).
- Add vegetables (except for the peas).
- Top with tomato sauce and water.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Boil peas for 4-5 minutes and add to the slow cooker.
- Shred meat and serve over rice.