In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd’s pie is most often made with a ground-lamb filling. It is a classic comfort food recipe and an easy, cozy meal the whole family will love!
For mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes peeled
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For lamb mixture
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 1 big carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 cup peas frozen or canned
- 1 cup corn frozen or canned
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme and cook until fragrant and softened, 5 minutes.
- Add ground lamb and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn and cook until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir to evenly distribute. Cook 1 minute more and add chicken broth. Cook 4 minute more.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add melted butter, milk, and sour cream. Mash together until fully incorporated, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Transfer lamb mixture to the baking pan. Top it with an even layer of mashed potatoes
- Bake about 20 minutes.