Koshari (also spelled, Kushari) is the national dish of Egypt.
Add To Shopping List
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
- Cook the lentils in just over a litre of salted water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15-30 minutes, depending on the type of lentils you are using.
- When the lentils are quite tender, add the rice to the lentils and continue simmering until the rice is cooked, adding water if necessary.
- Cook the macaroni in a separate pot.
- Rinse and strain when done.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions and garlic in the oil until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli flakes, salt and pepper to taste and let it bubble for 10-20 minutes or until thickened and sauce like.
- You can now blitz the sauce in a food processor until smooth or just leave as is.
- Mix the lentils, rice and macaroni together in one pot.
- Place some of the lentil mixture on each plate and top with tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with more hot chili powder or salt and pepper, if desired.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.