Pide or Turkish pizza is a wonderful and soft dough that is made in the shape of a “ship” and can be filled with various fillings.
It is one of the favorite pastries in Turkey. There is one of the most famous street food.
There are many fast food restorans called Pideci who sell this delicious pastry with various fillings in Turkey.
The most famous fillings are meat and onions, although, like any dish, it has experienced various variations and the fillings can be varied.
The dough itself is, in fact, traditional bread baked in a clay oven.
Pide – we made Turkish pizza in the warmth of our kitchen and we got a great, irresistible pastry.
Pide - Turkish Pizza
- 500 g flour
- 14 g dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp AJVAR (baked and ground red pepper)
- 150 g Mozzarella grated
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 1 lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- pinch of chilli
- Stir the yeast in 100ml of warm water and add 1 tablespoon of sugar. Leave 10 minutes to make foam.
- Pour the flour into a mixing bowl and make a hole in the middle.
- Pour a mixture of yeast and water and knead.
- Add olive oil.
- Add warm water gradually (about 150ml) until you knead a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and leave on a warm place 1 hour.
- In the meantime, make the stuffing.
- Fry the meat in a pan to get the color. Add salt, pepper and chilli. Before removing from the heat, sprinkle it with the juice of half a lemon.
- In another pan, fry the onions, peppers and tomatoes until soft. Add salt.
- Add meat and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Then add the ajvar and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining lemon juice, mix everything and remove from the heat. Leave the filling to cool a bit.
- After 1 hour, remove the risen dough from the bowl and stir to remove excess air.
- Roll it out and roll it into a thin noodle and divide it into 2 parts.
- Develop each part in the shape of a rectangle to a thickness of 1 cm.
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Put stuffing on each rectangle, but so that it remains 2-3 cm free from the edge.
- Close the edges of the dough in the shape of a ship - connect the upper, narrower edges, and raise the edges like a fence on the sides.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the filling and place the hot pepper rings.
- Coat the edges of the dough with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven 15 minutes on the fan option at 428F (220 ° C).
- It is served with a salad in Turkey, but you choose and enjoy!