The Cobb salad is named after American restaurateur Robert Howard Cobb. Various stories are surrounding this recipe. One say the salad was invented by Cobb himself, others tell the story that his chef, Paul J. Posti was the original creator. According to the legend, it was late night, the year was 1937, and Cobb was in the kitchen of his “Brown Derby” restaurant. He mixed together leftovers he found in the kitchen and completely unconsciously – made history. The result was so great that the salad became an instant classic and signature dish in his restaurant.
If you’re starting with raw chicken, fry it in the bacon fat, and season with salt and pepper or add one of your favorite spices, salad will only be tastier.
Feel free to use different types of lettuces, iceberg is not necessity. You can use spring mix, leafy greens, romaine, mesclun mix or even kale.
You can swap the ranch dressing for your favorite low carb dressing or vinaigrette.
Keto Cobb Salad with Ranch Dressing
- 2 eggs
- 3 oz bacon
- 1/2 lb rotisserie chicken cut into smaller pieces
- 2 oz blue cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 5 oz romaine lettuce chopped
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 2 tbsp water
- Prepare all ingredients.
- Start by preparing the dressing. Combine mayonnaise, ranch seasoning and water. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Cool in ice water for easier peeling. Chop them roughly.
- Fry bacon in a hot, dry skillet until crispy.
- Distribute the chicken, bacon, vegetables, eggs and blue cheese on the lettuce. Season with salt and pepper, especially the eggs.
- Drizzle with dressing.