Try the Hasselback potatoes in a slightly different way…with cream and crispy cheese.
This can be a great side dish.
Hasselback Potato Gratin
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for baking dish
- 3 medium onions thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 tbsp dry thyme
- 1 tbsp dry rosemary
- 8 oz. grated cheese (about 2 cups), divided
- 4 oz. parmesan grated (about 1 cup), divided
- 3 1/2 lb. gold potatoes peeled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cut the potatoes vertically but do not cut them fully. Note: use a large wooden spoon; put the potato in and than cut it.
- Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine onions, cream, garlic, thyme, rosemary, 1 2/3 cups cheese and Parmesan in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Pour cream mixture over potatoes, making sure some of the mixture goes between the potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until potatoes start to soften, 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until potatoes are golden brown, 25 minutes. Bake until cheese is golden brown.