Cook this Easy Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto Recipe (Pressure Cooker Risotto). Creamy cheesy risotto with umami mushrooms mixed in al dente arborio rice. The luxurious mouthful sensation is soo comforting & satisfying!
Christmas Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 4 cups stock mushroom soaking liquid
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms rehydrated and sliced
- 12 -16 large cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 small shallot finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or dry sherry wine
- 0.70 oz Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce divided
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Garnish with parsley
- Rehydrate Dried Shiitake Mushrooms: In a 2-cups (500ml) glass measuring cup, submerge 3 (22g) dried shiitake mushrooms into 400ml warm water for 20 - 30 minutes. Place something on top to prevent the mushrooms from floating. After 30 minutes, squeeze out the water in the shiitake mushrooms back in the glass measuring cup, then slice the mushrooms. Set the mushroom soaking liquid aside as you will need it later.
- Prepare Instant Pot® (Pressure Cooker): Heat up your pressure cooker over medium high heat (Instant Pot: press Sauté button, then Adjust button once to Sauté More function). Ensure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
- Sauté Mushrooms: Pour 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil and 2 tbsp (29g) unsalted butter in the pressure cooker. Ensure to coat oil over whole bottom of the pot. Add in sliced cremini mushrooms and oyster mushrooms. Stir to evenly coat the mushrooms with butter. Mushrooms will start to release their moisture. At the 8-minutes mark, drain some of the moisture to speed up the process. Let the moisture evaporate completely then season with 2 tbsp (30ml) light soy sauce and stir occasionally until mushrooms are slightly crisped and browned. This step will take roughly 17 – 22 mins (about 12 mins on stovetop), but it will greatly enhance the flavor of the risotto.
- Prep Ingredients: While the mushroom slices are sauteing, prep the remaining ingredients accordingly.
- Combine Stock to Create Mushroom Chicken Stock: While the mushroom slices are sauteing, combine 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 3 cups (750ml) unsalted chicken stock, and 1 cup (250ml) of the mushroom soaking liquid together in a glass measuring cup.
- Sauté Onions & Garlic: Add diced onions & shallots, then saute until soften and fragrant (~1 minute). Add in minced garlic, then saute until fragrant (~30 seconds). Move everything to one side of the pot to create room for the oil and rice.
- Add Rice and Season: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil & another 2 tbsp (29g) unsalted butter to the empty half of the pot. Add 2 cups (400g) arborio rice in the oil. Stir until the rice is evenly coated with the oil. Mix everything together and continue to stir. After 2 – 3 minutes, the edges of the arborio rice should become translucent, while the center remains white. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms and mix well with the rice.
- Deglaze: Pour in ¾ cup (188ml) dry white wine, fully deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Stir and let the wine boil for roughly a minute allowing the alcohol to evaporate.
- Pressure Cook Risotto: Pour 4 cups (1L) mushroom chicken stock in the pressure cooker. Now is a good time to make sure no rice or onion pieces stick to the sides of the pot. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes + Quick Release. Open the lid carefully. For Softer Risotto: The above cooking time will produce al-dente risotto, so if you prefer softer risotto, add an extra minute or two to the cooking time.
- Optional Fancy Step - Warm Plates: Warm serving plates in the oven (we warm our plates in a 200°F toaster oven), this helps ensure the best risotto consistency when served.
- Reduce Risotto: Your pressure cooked risotto should look runny. Stir to combine with a silicone spatula to form a creamy and smooth consistency. If it is too runny, stir and cook for another few minutes over medium heat (Instant Pot: press Sauté button). Add in 20g Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Taste and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve: Garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately with more Parmesan cheese. Take a bite and blow an “Italian Chef Kiss” with your fingertips and say Delizioso Risotto!