Cauli cheese macaroni
- 300 g macaroni or rigati
- 1 cauliflower small, cut into florets
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 600 ml milk full-fat
- 140 g cheddar extra mature, coarsely grated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- small bunch thyme leaves picked
- Heat the grill to its highest setting and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta for 4 mins, then add the cauliflower for a further 8 mins. Drain, reserving 100ml of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium pan over a low heat and stir in the flour. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. Bubble for a few mins, then remove from the heat. Add the cheese, the reserved cooking water and seasoning to taste.
- Tip the pasta and cauliflower into a large casserole dish and stir through the cheese sauce. Mix together the garlic, breadcrumbs and thyme, and scatter over the top. Grill for 2-3 mins until bubbling.