A great choice for party snacks and birthdays, these savory rolls are always a great idea for breakfast, dinner, snack at work.
For all of those in love with dough, these ham and cheese rolls are a real treat. Crispy on the outside and soft in the inside, this pastry dish will be for sure your first choice when it comes to baking for your friends and family.
This recipe can be easily modified with other sweet and savory stuffing. Raspberry jam, Feta cheese…Sky is the limit!
Balkan Ham and Cheese Rolls
- 1/2 l milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 40 g yeast
- 3 eggs
- 3 dl vegetable oil
- 1 kg flour
- 2 tsp salt
- sesame seeds
- 1 eggs
- 125 ml sour cream
- 125 ml cottage cheese
- 200 g ham
- 150 g Gouda cheese
- Prepare ingredients for rolls.
- Heat the milk and keep it warm.
- Put milk in a mixing bowl and add 1 tbsp of sugar and yeast.
- When the yeast creates a foam add 2 eggs yolks, vegetable oil,salt and mix.
- Start to add flour, but gradually. Continue until you put 95% of the flour.
- Stop whisking when the dough has the shape of a ball and detach from the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the lining with a flour and place the dough. Form a ball and leave for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, divide the dough ball in 4 parts. Make balls of those parts.
- In the meantime, cut ham and cheese and mix with 1 egg, 125 ml sour cream and 125 ml cottage cheese.
- Stretch each ball with rolling pin into a circle around 30 cm in diameter.
- Divide the circle into 8 parts to get 8 triangles.
- Stretch the ends of each triangle slightly and place the stuffing in the middle of the upper part of the triangle.
- Fold the upper ends of the triangle over the stuffing and roll with your hand to make the rolls. While rolling ,stretch the end of the dough with other hand.
- If you follow these instructions, you'll get 32 rolls.
- Place the baking paper in oven pan and line the rolls with a space between each.
- Whisk 2 egg whites remaining and brush each roll.
- Spinkle sesame seeds and place a piece of butter on each roll.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 C for about 20-25 minutes or until they get a golden color.