Wild green cabbage roll is one of the versions of the famous Balkan dish, only the exterior is different …
Different because of one very tasty version of green cabbage…wild one.
It is actually much tastier than any of its cultivated forms – the same taste, just stronger.
With a delicious ground meat filling inside, we got the perfect blend of flavors.
Try it end enjoy!
- 20 wild cabbage leaves
- 1.12 lb ground beef
- 3 onions chopped
- 1/2 cup rice
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Wash the cabbage leaves.
- With a knife lightly stand the thick stems at the bottom of the leaves. Tip: When thinning the stem, be careful not to tear the leaf.
- Put each leaf in boiling water for half to1 minute to soften. Tip: The leaves should not be in the water for long. It is enough to soften them a little, but they must not be cooked so as not to split later. Immediately after taking them out of the boiling water, put them in a bowl with cold water.
- Set them aside to cool.
- Put oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onion until soft.
- Then add the meat and fry it until it changes color and is almost cooked.
- Add salt, pepper and chili.
- At the end of frying, add the rice and stir well.
- Remove from the heat and mix in 2 eggs.
- Leave the meat to cool.
- Take one wild cabbage leaf, and on the lower part us 1-1,5 tbsp of mince meat stuffing. Amount of stuffing depends of the size of the leafs.
- First take care of the part where the stuffing is, then the side parts - bend the ends at the sides so the stuffing doesn't fall out, and then roll it so you can get nice round roll.
- Take the a large sickle and arrange the rolls firmly next to each other.
- Pour white wine and tomato juice into a sickle with rolls.
- Add salt, pepper and chili to the cold water and pour over the rolls so that the water slightly covers them.
- Gently shake the sickle to mix the wine, tomato juice and water.
- Cook covered over low heat for about 1-1,5 hour. Tips: Cooking time depends on how old the wild cabbage leaves are.
- Serve warm with sour milk and enjoy!