Shepherd Stew [Čobanac] is a dish in which the main ingredient is meat…at least three types of meat.
Of course, one of the species that is always present, but it is not necessary for you is the venison.
Chicken is not put in any variant.
Also, try not to add any industrial products, but only natural spices, to get the taste that shepherds get.
In order to cook a good shepherd stew, you need … time!
Try to find it and you will enjoy the perfect taste.
Shepherd Stew - Čobanac
- 17.6 oz pork cut into bite-sized cubes
- 17.6 oz beef cut into bite-sized cubes
- 10.5 oz vension cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 fresh pork crubeen
- 3 onions chopped
- 5 carrots chopped
- 2 celery roots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 2 plums
- 4 dark chocolate cubes
- 10 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- few pepper seeds
- salt and groun black pepper to taste
- 3 tsp dry vegetables spice
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 fresh hot pepper
- Fry onions in the big pot until it becomes soft. Tip: Adding salt to the onion helps it become soft.
- Add finely chopped garlic.
- Add the carrot and the celery root. Simmer gently around for half an hour until everything softens and becomes mushy. Add water if necessary.
- Add venison. Saute abot 30 minutes.
- When you have dropped the venison in the pot add 2 plums and 4 cubes of dark chocolate.
- Then add the beef and saute for another 30 minutes.
- Finally add the pork.
- Add salt, dry vegetables spice, paprika powder,chilli flakes and pepper.
- Add tomatoes passata and bring to a boil. Add the hot paprika cut in half and the bay leaves.
- Add 10 cups of water. Take care that part of the water will evaporate, and the shepherd's stew must be stewed, not thick.
- Put pork crubeen in the stew, which will give the desired density.
- Cook over low heat for another 2 hours.
- Try during cooking and if necessary add more salt and pepper.
- After 2 hours, remove the crubeen and serve the shepherd's stew warm.