Mexican bean soup is warming, spiced vegetarian soup packs in goodness and is filling too.
Mexican Bean Soup with Guacamole
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g can tomatoes chopped
- 400 g can black beans
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 small avocado
- handful chopped coriander
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion (reserving 1 tbsp to make the guacamole later) and pepper and fry, stirring frequently, for 10 mins. Stir in the garlic and spices, then tip in the tomatoes and beans with their liquid, half a can of water and the bouillon powder. Simmer, covered, for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and de-stone the avocado and tip into a bowl, add the remaining onion, coriander and lime juice with a little chilli (if using) and mash well. Ladle the soup into two bowls, top with the guacamole and serve.