“We love Italian sausage sandwiches, but the bread isn’t diet friendly for me, so I created this recipe to satisfy my craving. If you like some heat, use hot peppers in place of the sweet peppers.” — Tina M. Howells, Salem, Ohio
Italian Sausage Veggie Skillet
- 4 cup uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add zucchini and peppers; cook until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender and begin to release their juices, 5-7 minutes. Serve with pasta.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
- Nutrition Facts based on 1-1/3 cups