Delicious mint-flavored beef meatballs dipped in tomato sauce and covered with mozzarella cheese are perfect for a family dinner.
If you are a fan of chicken or lamb, you can choose this type of meat and enjoy!
Doubly Cheesy Beef Meatballs
- 1 cup torn crustless stale white bread
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh mint finely chopped , plus more for garnish
- 1 cloves garlic crushed with press
- 1 lb ground beef chuck (80% lean)
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- In large bowl, soak bread in cold water few minutes. Squeeze out and discard excess water from bread.
- In other large bowl, add bread, feta, mint and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, tossing to combine. Add beef and mix until combined.
- Form into 8 meatballs.
- In pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add meatballs; cook 10 minutes, turning until browned on two sides. Transfer to large plate.
- To pan add onion, cook 5 minutes, stirring. Add pressed garlic. Add tomatoes, broth, oregano, bay leaves and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat,cook 10 minutes or until reduced slightly, stirring often.
- Add meatballs to tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes.
- Move to casserole pan. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to oven and bake about 30 minutes or until cheese has browned.
- Garnish with mint.