This salad is inspired by all of the end of summer favorites including fresh corn, tomatoes (several varieties if you have them), and sweet peppers.
The Best of Summer Salad
- 2 ears of corn shucked
- 2 bell peppers or sweet peppers
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1 medium avocado peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
White Balsamic Dressing:
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- o cut the corn off the cob, stand an ear of corn up on the stem end. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the kernels away from the cob, rotating until you’ve cut all the way around. You want to be careful not to cut too far in because you get the tough part of the cob with your corn kernels.
- For the peppers I used a mix of purple bell pepper and red mini sweet peppers. Remove the stem and seeds before cutting the peppers into small bite sized pieces.
- For the cucumber, slice off both ends and cut it into quarters lengthwise. Lay the quarters flat side down on the cutting board and slice them crosswise into thin triangular pieces.
- Remove the stem from larger tomatoes and cut them into bite sized pieces. If you’re using cherry tomatoes, cut them in half or quarters to make them bite sized.
- Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the white balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a bowl, or shake them together in a jar with a secure lid.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.