These quick and easy crumbed balls are stuffed full of sweet potato, salami, cheese and pizza sauce.
Sweet Potato Pizza Balls
- 500 g sweet potato peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 35 g salami sliced, finely chopped
- 25 g cheddar finely grated
- 2 tbsp pizza sauce
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil to shallow-fry
- basil pesto to serve
- Cook the sweet potato in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 10-12 minutes or until tender enough to mash. (Alternatively, place in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with 2 layers of plastic wrap and microwave on High for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain if necessary.) Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potato until smooth. Stir in the salami, cheddar and pizza sauce until combined. Roll level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Roll the balls in flour, dip in egg and then roll in breadcrumbs to coat. Return to the prepared tray.
- Add enough oil to a large frying pan to reach a depth of about 1cm. Heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, shallow-fry the balls, turning often, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Serve with pesto, if you like.