When you take a look at pictures of this Japanese classic dessert, it’s intimidating and it seems impossible to make it at your home and without culinary expertise, but just follow these simple instructions and you’ll achieve excellence without problems.
Soft and Spongy, but also super delicious, this cheesecake will become number one in your repertoire when it comes visual display.
Spongy Japanese Cheesecake
- 225 g cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 tbsp cake flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F (165C) and grease an 8 inch (20cm) round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place cream cheese in a bowl with milk and let it soak for 20 minutes.
- Bring water to the boil in a large pot and melt cream cheese with milk and butter over it. Stir frequently and after 5 minutes you'll get a perfect mixture. Remove and cool for at least 20 minutes or until it's completely cool.
- Sift cake flour and cornstarch into a bowl and then again into the cream cheese mixture. After it's well mixed, add egg yolks and lemon juice and mix again.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a bowl using an electric mixer. Beat the mixture until it gets foamy.
- Start with adding sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Stir cream cheese mixture into egg white mixture mix well, and then pour into an 8 inch pan. Place the pan inside a baking dish and fill with water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake until cake gets golden brown color for about 1 hour 10 minutes and the turn off the oven and leave cake in oven with door ajar for 1 hour. Afterwards, place it to a wire rack to cool completely.