Warm up in the most comforting way… a big bowl of this cheesy ham chowder, made easy in the slow cooker! Perfect for a busy weeknight!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham Chowder
- 1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes (about 3 medium sized potatoes)
- 20 oz canned corn (drained), or frozen corn (thawed)
- 4 cups cubed ham diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 ribs celery diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- extra parsley, pepper and cheese for garnish
- To a 6 qt slow cooker, add the first 8 ingredients (potatoes through and including chicken stock). Stir, cover, and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into soup in slow cooker, cover and cook on HIGH 20-25 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat, stir in cheese, sour cream and parsley until cheese is melted.
- Serve sprinkled with extra cheese, black pepper and parsley if desired.