This very healthy recipe is originated in Russia. Russian mushrooms soup is something we highly recommend because of its immune boosting properties, and because it also contains wheat, it is highly nutritious and can be served as a main dish.
There are many options in regard of dry mushrooms you can use for this recipe like shiitakes, porcini, morels but we used dry oyster mushrooms and the result was excellent.
Russian Mushroom Soup
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms oyster mushroom
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 3 celery sticks finely diced
- 2 cups cooked wheat
- 27 fl oz chicken broth
- small bunch of dill chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dry vegetable seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First thing you need to do is to put dry mushrooms in a bowl, cover them with 750ml boiling water and let them soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan and add chopped carrot and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for around 8-10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add already cooked wheat and stir the mixture for about 2 mins.
- Drain dried oyster mushrooms and cut up any large bits.
- Add chicken broth and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and after 30 minutes of cooking add dill.
- Serve with sour cream and tosted bread.