A classic of both Italian-American restaurants and home cooking, this sweet-and-sour dish cooks up quickly in an Instant Pot or other multicooker.
Multicooker Chicken Scarpariello with Rigatoni
- 900 g chicken thighs boneless, skinless,trimmed of excess fat and cut into pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 tbs minced or grated garlic
- 1 large hot cherry pepper
- 800 g can diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 340 g rigatoni
- 3 tbs fresh flat leaf parsley coarsely chopped
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- Generously season the chicken all over with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add the oil to the multicooker and press sauté. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cherry pepper, and cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add the rigatoni and stir to combine. Using the back of a large spoon, press the pasta into the broth in an even layer. Press cancel.
- Secure the lid, making sure that the valve is in the sealed position, and select pressure cook-low pressure. Set the timer for 6 minutes.
- Once cooking is done, let sit in the pot for 10 minutes undisturbed, then use the quick-release method to release the remaining steam. Uncover the pot, stir in 2 Tbs. of the parsley, the pepper brine, and butter, and continue to stir until the butter is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 bowls, garnish with the remaining parsley, and serve.