Wheat berries normally take a long time to cook (and dried black beans, too), but in this recipe, you can cook them together in the Instant Pot and cut their cooking time in half!
Multi Cooker Wheat Berry, Black Bean, and Avocado Salad
- 1/3 cup dried black beans
- 1/2 cup hard wheat berries
- 4 cup water
- 2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 cup poblano pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- 85 g reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Place beans and wheat berries in a fine mesh sieve, rinse and drain. Place in pressure cooker with the 4 cups water. Lock the lid in place and close the seal valve. Press the Manual button for 25 minutes. When the cook time ends, use a quick pressure release.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt, in a large bowl and set aside.
- When valve drops, carefully remove lid, drain in a fine mesh colander and run under cold water to cool completely. drain well. Add the wheat berry mixture, avocado and cheese to the tomato mixture; toss gently until well coated. Serve as is or over leafy greens such as kale.