This light yet deeply flavorful soup is a celebration of colors, tastes, and textures, overflowing with garnishes and tender shredded chicken.
Multi Cooker Tortilla Soup
Don’t skip the garnishes_they are an essential component of the dish.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 fresh tomatoes cored and chopped
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 2 jalapeno chilies stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp chipotle chile in adobo sauce minced and canned
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 10 corn tortillas (4 cut into 1/2 inch pieces, 6 halved and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips)
- 680 g chicken thighs boneless, skinless and trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups Cotija cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
- Using highest saute or browning function, heat 1 tablespoon oil in multicooker until shimmering. Add tomatoes, onion, and half of jalapeños and cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, 2 teaspoons chipotle, and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth and tortilla pieces, scraping up any browned bits. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into multicooker.
- Lock lid in place and open pressure release valve. Select low slow cook function and cook until chicken is tender, 2 to 3 hours. (If using Instant Pot, select high slow cook function.) Turn off multicooker and carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 F. Toss tortilla strips with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and bake on rimmed baking sheet until crisp and deep golden, 8 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer strips to paper towel-lined plate and lightly season with salt to taste; set aside for serving.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces using 2 forks. Whisk soup vigorously for 30 seconds to break down tortilla pieces. Stir in chicken, remaining jalapenos, and remaining 1 teaspoon chipotle and let sit until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, passing toasted tortilla strips, Cotija, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime wedges separately.
Recipe from wtop.com
Calories: 394kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 27gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 649mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!