Mac and cheese is one of the all time favorites, but combining it with bacon and avocado, you’ll get something completely new with just a little effort.
Smoky bacon and creamy avocado take this popular comfort food to another level.
Mac and Cheese With Avocado and Bacon
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 oz bacon diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 7 oz macaroni
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil. Add onion and bacon and cook for 8 minutes or until onion is soft.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until well combined. Cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and slowly add milk, stirring constantly until well combined.
- When well mixed, increase the heat to medium and add mustard, and cheese.( leave some of the cheese for sprinkling). Stir constantly until mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Cook pasta per packet instructions. Drain.
- Cut avocado into cubes. Leave some to serve.
- Add bacon and onion mixture into the sauce along with the pasta. Mix and add 3/4 of the avocado and gently stir.
- Transfer prepared pasta mix to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese,parmesan, parsley over pasta.Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 25 minutes on 350F.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining avocado and parsley.