A fruity and warming Middle Eastern tagine to be served with couscous and herbs – a speedy casserole with plenty of flavour.
Lamb & Apricot Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g stewing lamb pieces
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp ras-el-hanout or other spice mix
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 5 soft dried apricots halved
- 300 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- cooked couscous to serve
- mint or coriander leaves to serve
- lemon wedges to serve
- In a medium-sized pan, heat 1 tbsp of the oil. Season the meat and fry briefly until browned.
- Remove from the pan and add the remaining oil. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and fry with a little seasoning. Cook for 5 mins until soft, then add the spice mix, tomato purée, apricots and stock, and return the lamb to the pan. Simmer gently for 25 mins.
- Serve with warm couscous, mint or coriander leaves, and lemon wedges.