This is a very simple apple crisp. Like most baked apple recipes, you’ll want to use flavorful and firm apples — Granny Smith are our go-to.
It’s also nice to combine two varieties of od apples.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe with Oats
- 6 baking apples medium
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar depending on tartness of apples
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sugar combine 1/4 cup brown sugar + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square (or 2-quart) baking dish.
- Core apples then cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Add apples to a large bowl with orange zest, orange juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir then add to baking dish.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar and the salt in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter then stir until all the flour has been moistened by the butter and topping is crumbly. Sprinkle over apple filling. (We like to use our hands to do this. As we sprinkle, we press the crumbles together to create larger clumps of topping.)
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until juices are thickened, the apples are tender and the topping has turned light golden brown. If the topping starts to become too brown, cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake until the apples are done.