Chili con carne is a classic Mexican dish usually containing beef, chilli peppers, tomatoes and beans. We wanted to add some more flavor to it, so we also added fresh peppers and corn, and you know what, we’re going to continue doing so!
Spices are also very important for this dish, so you can get that authentic chilli flavor.
Clever Chilli Con Carne
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 fresh bell peppers diced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp jalapeño chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1/2 can sweet corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- After a few minutes, add diced peppers.
- After peppers are softened, add ground beef and cook until browned, breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add coriander, cumin, chilli powder,diced fresh jalapeno, chilli flakes, tomato paste and crumbled stock cube.
- Stir in tomatoes and cover with a lid. Cook over a low heat for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.
- Now it's time to add the kidney beans and sweet corn. Stir carefully and cook for another 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve with a polenta, rice, sour cream, guacamole and enjoy!