This keto fried chicken recipe is crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.
IS FRIED CHICKEN KETO FRIENDLY?
Can you eat fried chicken on keto? Unfortunately not regular fried chicken, which is breaded with high-carb wheat flour.
But, that doesn’t mean we have to say goodbye to the concept. We’ll just make low carb fried chicken in the air fryer instead!
So, how to make fried chicken low carb? It’s totally easy and doable – promise!
The key is making the right keto fried chicken breading…
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB FRIED CHICKEN IN THE AIR FRYER OVEN
Once you have your bowls setup, you can make your low carb fried chicken!
Use one hand to to dredge the chicken drumsticks in the coconut flour, then the other hand to dip in the eggs, and finally use the first hand to press it into the pork rind breading mixture. You can also just scoop the breading over the drumstick to help it stick.
Another Tip to prevent clumping: Keep most of the third mixture in a separate bowl and add a little at a time to the bowl where you’ll be coating the chicken. With this method, the breading will stick very well.
Place the chicken drumsticks in the (greased) air fryer basket without touching. It’s the perfect size to fit 4 of them!
Finally, bake the keto fried chicken in the air fryer oven at 400 degrees F. You can do this on the Manual setting to set the time and temperature.
Air Fryer Keto Low Carb Fried Chicken
- 2 1/2 lbs Chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup Coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pork rinds (2.25 oz)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Stir the coconut flour, sea salt and black pepper in a medium shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In a second medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, mix the crushed pork rinds, smoked paprika, garlic powder and thyme.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the coconut flour mixture, dip in the eggs, shake off the excess, then press into the pork rind mixture. For best results, keep most of the third mixture in a separate bowl and add a little at a time to the bowl where you'll be coating the chicken. That way, it won't get clumpy too fast.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 5 minutes. Lightly grease the metal basket and arrange the breaded chicken on it in a single layer, without touching.
- Place the basket into the air fryer. Cook the fried chicken in the air fryer for 20 minutes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).